Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can find his way by moonlight,

and see the dawn before the rest of the world. ~Oscar Wilde~

madhouse ~ a disorderly, often noisy place.


a wild, confused, & often noisy place, set of circumstances, etc.: The office was a madhouse today.


Friday, July 13, 2012

Bastille Day ~ 14 July 1789 ~


The French national holiday celebrates the beginning of the French Revolution





Isn't it wonderful when sudden things happen. Today for instance was quite busy as John and I had to drop off stock for retail and pick up new catalogues and business cards - mostly on the other side of town.


Normally I get bored when driving (well when I'm the passenger!) anyways it was raining here in Brissie so I thought I may as well sit back and put my thoughts to Queen. Not really much difference to any other day except for when John and I finished our errands it was heading towards dinner time so we popped into The Ox Restaurant at Margate.


We'd never been there before and as we both love exploring food (who doesn't!) we thought we'd give it a try. We were greeted by the owner, Virginia who was so friendly and down to earth.


The atmosphere was appealing with the dim lights and characteristically quiet - oh so romantic ~


We ordered and had a glass of wine while we waited. Over to the side was a baby grand piano - lovely...


While we were eating our meal (delicious and filling by the way - highly recommend The Ox at Margate) a lady walked in with a red beret - love eccentricity! Her name was Ruth and she was here to play the piano (as she has done for 30 years or so at The Ox! - OMG!) ... and especially dressed up 'french' - hence the beret! for Bastille Day.


What is Bastille Day??? ...


Bastille Day, the French national holiday, commemorates the storming of the Bastille, which took place on 14 July 1789 and marked the beginning of the French Revolution. The Bastille was a prison and a symbol of the absolute and arbitrary power of Louis the 16th's Ancient Regime. By capturing this symbol, the people signaled that the king's power was no longer absolute: power should be based on the Nation and be limited by a separation of powers.



It marked the end of absolute monarchy, the birth of the sovereign Nation, and, eventually, the creation of the (First) Republic, in 1792.
Bastille Day was declared the French national holiday on 6 July 1880, on Benjamin Raspail's recommendation, when the new Republic was firmly entrenched. Bastille Day has such a strong signification for the French because the holiday symbolizes the birth of the Republic.   
As in the US, where the signing of the Declaration of Independence signaled the start of the American Revolution, in France the storming of the Bastille began the Great Revolution. In both countries, the national holiday thus symbolizes the beginning of a new form of government.
On the one-year anniversary of the fall of the Bastille, delegates from every region of France proclaimed their allegiance to a single national community during the Fête de la Fédération in Paris - the first time in history that a people had claimed their right to self-determination.

Courtesy of french.about.com





You see Queen of the MaDhouse was born with the influence of the Victorian era - Marie Antoinette etc so anything (ANYTHING!) that remotely looks/sounds like french I'm INTERESTED in and well to sit there at The Ox on Bastille day with a lovely lady playing french melodies had me asking for another wine!


I was in my element - somewhat in a daze - like the universe led me to this restaurant - calling at me to sit down and cherish my little moment thinking about all the hard work that had been put into Queen and well ............. bask in the delight of the french influences around me ~ (corny I know - but hay that's me!) ;)


Ruth started to play and kept looking over at me so I'd give a wink and a clap and sway my head giving approval (not caring who was watching .. ) .. who gives a crapper - I was floating ~ 


After a tune I got up and congratulated Ruth as her music was so beautiful - a quick little kiss on the cheek to show my appreciation and a hand shake (well, kind of a opposite hand shake - yep went to shake her hand with the wrong hand - what the!!! - quickly realised I had another arm/hand and used it to 'properly' shake) the confusion on both of our faces was so funny (something out of Naked Gun/Hot Shots came to mind) and of course that just makes me laugh more! ..


What an idiot!


I asked Ruth if she would be interested in putting together a collaboration of her music so I can pop it on my website/blog for everyone to listen to and she said 'yes' - how wonderful is that! Once Ruth sends me the CD I'll let you all know so you  too can listen and share in this delightful ladies craft ~


We left soon after and I felt really good - simply really good ~


It is so nice to spend time in the company of people that you just meet and they leave a positive influence on you ~


Thank you so much to Virginia and Ruth for making my day a day to remember ~




                                       







http://www.thegoldenox.com.au 

No comments:

Post a Comment


To return to Blog HOMEPAGE please click on 'Home' tab above this image